Welcome to Covet Collective!

A harem of girls who love crafts, antiques, design, and anything aesthetically pleasing. Come on in and read about what we've purchased, what we've found and what we covet.

We also have fun finds and handcrafted items for sale on http://www.etsy.com/. Once you are on the Etsy site, simply search Sellers (in the dropdown menu) and type in "covetcollective".



Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Upcycle Your Clothing - great blogs

This time of the year, I am either looking at my closet thinking that I have nothing to wear to the various holiday parties, or I am dreaming of the potential new items that could be added in just a few days when Santa visits.  Both of these make me consider what articles I should pull to be donated. 

However, two of my favorite blogs have made me rethink my old clothing items.  How can I make them like new (and holiday party appropriate)?  Enter New Dress a Day and Grosgrain Fabulous!

New Dress a Day chronicled Marisa's journey to only spend $1/day on clothing for an entire year (Nov 2009 - Nov 2010).  Lucky for all of us, she has a full before/after gallery as well as some quick tips on what you can do to get similar fabulous results.  I don't even like lace, and just look what she was able to do with this monster.  Oh, and sorry if you have/love the original (we all have opinions, right?).  :-)

Before:


After:


Just add dye (she has a tutorial), cut the length, and ta-da...new dress!

I also am happy to report that Kathleen of Grosgrain Fabulous just finished her "Embellished Knits" month, and has hinted she may continue it. I am so excited!  Just look at the before and after below.  She even has a step-by-step how-to for anyone who wants to copy her ideas. 

Before:



After:


She made a cardigan that is Anthropologie-worthy from a drab long sleeve t-shirt.  How fun!

Just think of the possibilities that exist in your closet.

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment